For 45 years, the Organization for the Prevention of Blindness (OPC) has been an essential leader in the fight to prevent blindness for individuals located in Francophone Africa.
Our team’s expertise and long-standing relationships with stakeholders at the national, regional, and local level have led us to become the trusted partner in developing and implementing inclusive, comprehensive eye care programs in more than 10 French-speaking African countries.
While often overlooked, Africa still has many more blind and visually impaired people per capita than any other region in the world. While foreign funding helps combat the challenge of preventable blindness, Francophone Africa receives a vastly disproportionate amount as compared to English speaking African countries.
That’s why your support of our mission is so critical – together, we can create a brighter future for the next generation of individuals who otherwise would not have equal access to preventable healthcare.
The Next Decade of Strategic and Sustainable Impact
The Organization for the Prevention of Blindness (OPC) is dedicated to sustainable programming, making the impact of your support continue long after your donation is made. During our project implementation, OPC shares ophthalmology training and knowledge, strengthens health systems, and equips surgical centers. After the completion of our project supervision, thousands more continue to benefit year after year under Ministries of Health ownership.
We are proud to celebrate 45 years of impact together with you – yet we cannot and will not rest on our laurels. We continue to press on with conviction towards the next decade of impact with new, ambitious goals to see our vision come to fruition.
In 2023, we are launching a new strategic plan that will catapult us forward for years to come. While our new direction is meant to increase our impact, we are staying true to our inherent DNA that has kept us grounded and focused in the last 45 years.
Together in the next decade, we are committed to:
- Improving the connection between stakeholders – we will cultivate and develop partnerships and networks of committed philanthropists, ministries of health, local organizations, and experts to integrate eye health with holistic, universal healthcare.
- Going where no one else will go – we will forge new and innovative pathways to reach the most fragile and isolated populations, including communities challenged by rare or neglected diseases, to ensure countries that benefit the least from international funding get equitable access to healthcare.
- Implementing sustainable solutions to prevent blindness – we will continue improving the lives of those we serve by helping countries design and implement sustainable access to quality eye care.
What We Do Today Impacts Tomorrow
The OPC has already begun to work toward our new strategic vision. Friends like you continue to be a critical part of our success. Your support provides the resources needed to implement inclusive, sustainable programs that prevent and treat eye conditions that cause blindness.
You can join the fight against blindness today in mere seconds. Here’s how:
- Subscribe to our email list. We promise not to spam you! Instead, we will keep you updated on how we’re fulfilling our mission and ways to get involved.
- Become a partner. Make a tax-deductible donation to fuel our programs that address preventable eye conditions that cause blindness. Your gift of any amount has lasting impact for years to come through our sustainable programming.
Thank you for helping the OPC lead the way to equitable eye health in Francophone Africa.